Does Your Homeowners Insurance Cover This?
Homeowners insurance plays an important role in society. It protects your most important financial asset, your home. When most people in Los Angeles think of damage to their home, they tend to think of fire or theft. Well, there are many other kinds of accidents that can cause damage to your home that are covered under most homeowner’s insurance policies. Remember each Los Angeles homeowner’s insurance policy is different, and if you bought your homeowners insurance online you may not have proper coverage. Claims will be paid based on your individual homeowner’s policy terms and conditions.
Homeowners insurance claims
- A homeowner accidently spilled bleach on her carpet while carrying in the groceries. Insurance covered the replacement of the carpet.
- A Christmas tree stand leaked water onto the homeowner’s hardwood floors. The homeowner’s did not realize the stand had leaked until they removed the tree skirt. The insurance company paid to repair the damage.
- Lightening stuck a water pump causing the pump to leak. The entire bottom floor of the insured’s home was flooded resulting in $52,000 in property damage.
- A son was cutting down a tree on his parent’s property. A limb from the tree fell on a visiting neighbor and $3,000 was paid out in bodily injury.
- A homeowner awoke to a bang, to find an airplane part had fallen through his roof. The claim was covered by the insurer. No airline admitted liability.
- A homeowner left his gas grill on by mistake. The grill was on a deck and close to the home; a fire caused $24,000 damage to the deck and home.
- A homeowner had some expensive lighting on the walkway of his house. The lanterns were original and hard to replace, but one of them was damaged in a storm. Because the homeowner was unable to purchase a match, the insurance company had to pay to replace both lanterns.
All these claims were subject to policy terms and deductibles.
Many homeowners don’t fully understand what their home insurance policy covers and excludes. For example, more than 37 percent of people who have homeowners insurance mistakenly believe flood damage is covered by a standard homeowner’s policy, according to a 2011 survey from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners.
To avoid making costly assumptions, it pays to know what’s included in your policy. We are here to help answer all your insurance questions. Established by company president John Roussel in 1985, Roussel Insurance & Financial Services was founded to assist business owners and professionals in their insurance and employee benefit programs. Our mission is to give you the peace of mind that your company and personal assets are properly safeguarded.
This information is intended for the client, individual or entity to which it is addressed. These articles contain concepts and opinions, and are not intended to represent the consensus of the insurance or risk community, nor to provide professional legal or tax advice. Please seek professional legal or tax counsel before making any decisions. The information provided does not change or modify any insurance policy, only the actual terms of the in-force policies will govern claim settlements.