If your business stores or controls any kind of personal customer information, you have a cyber liability risk. Even if you don’t store customer information electronically, you still have a risk of identity theft. The insurance industry has a key role to play in helping U.S. companies strengthen cybersecurity, a senior Treasury Department official said Thursday.
More than 40 percent of small businesses don’t have an adequate IT security budget, according to a November 2014 survey by the Ponemon Institute. According to a 2014 study by the National Cyber Security Alliance, 60% of small businesses close their doors within six months of a data breach. A data or cyber breach can not only cost a business money, but also their reputation.
Top Breaches For Small Businesses
- Third-Party Breeches.
- Employee misuse of information.
- Socially engineered trojans- An end-user browses to a usually trusted website, which prompts him or her to run a trojan. Most of the time the website is a legitimate, innocent victim, whose website has been temporarily compromised by hackers.
Cyber Liability Prevention Tips
- Outsource credit card handling with a reputable vendor.
- Use more complex passwords with a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols. Here is an example (MP#09xT28S%).
- Don’t save passwords on your computer.
- Question your internet security at every level, including email. It may be time to encrypt all emails.
- Use the latest security software.
- Do not allow laptops to leave the office without proper security.
- Train your employees on cybersecurity.
- Do not use an open network.
We can provide your firm with the right combination of pricing and coverage. Cyber risk insurance is available at very reasonable premiums. Many of our companies offer coverage to help protect your business from loss.
At Roussel Insurance we strive for trust and reliability with our clients. Through our 32 years in the insurance business we have learned to achieve immediate and sustainable cost savings for businesses and individuals. We can help find you the right insurance options, so that no matter what your budget is we can minimize you’re spending and easily meet your needs.
This information is intended for the client, individual or entity to which it is addressed. These articles contain concepts and opinions, and are not intended to represent the consensus of the insurance or risk community, nor to provide professional legal or tax advice. Please seek professional legal or tax counsel before making any decisions. The information provided does not change or modify any insurance policy, only the actual terms of the in-force policies will govern claim settlements.